- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 3 links Big Fork Bacon Sausage, suggested flavor is Portabella, cut lengthwise twice, then chopped
- 4 oz. diced pimientos
- 10 oz. broccoli slaw
- 3 sprigs green onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup Italian Dressing
- ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped or 2 Tbsp. everything bagel seasoning
Bring the broth or water to a boil with the salt. Add the steel cut oats, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet corn and sausage in the oats. Let rest.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the pimentos, slaw, green onions, and dressing.
- Add the oat/sausage mixture to the slaw mixture and mix until combined.
Garnish with almonds.
This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold. It will last in the fridge up to 5 days if you are making this in advanced.
There are many delicious and nutritious options for garnishing a grain salad. Here are a few ideas:
Fresh herbs: Chopped parsley, cilantro, basil, or mint can add a burst of flavor and color to your salad.
Toasted nuts or seeds: Try adding some crunchy texture with toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
Dried fruits: Dried cranberries, raisins, or apricots can add a sweet and chewy contrast to the grains.
Roasted vegetables: Roasted cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, or zucchini can be a delicious and colorful addition to your salad.
Cheese: Feta, goat cheese, or grated Parmesan can add a salty and savory flavor to your salad.
Avocado: Sliced avocado can add a creamy and buttery texture to your grain salad.
Dressing: A drizzle of balsamic glaze, lemon juice, or olive oil can help tie all the flavors together and add a final touch of flavor to your grain salad.