Watch the step by step video here: https://youtu.be/ovJV9a2mIsA
4 links Big Fork Bacon Sausage (any flavor but Bacon & Ale is recommended)
1 – 12 oz. beer of your choice (we highly recommend Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss, since that’s the beer we use in our Bacon & Ale Sausage)
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. fennel seed
½ tsp. dill seed
1 Tbsp. butter
1 large yellow onion, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup bourbon
stone ground mustard, as a condiment
4 buns, either poppy seed or pretzel buns, toasted on the cut side only
- Crack open a beer and take a sip. Keep that one for yourself.
- Crack open another beer. Pour that beer into a shallow wide pan then add the sausage and cabbage. Bring the beer to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- While the sausage/beer/cabbage is simmering, in another pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook on medium low for around 10 minutes, stirring often, and adding salt and pepper halfway through the cooking process. Once the onions are browning nicely, add the bourbon and cook for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Remove the sausage from the cabbage-beer liquid and reserve on a plate. Add the salt, sugar, vinegar, dill seed and fennel seed and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- If desired, heat up your grill to medium-high and put the sausages on the grill to char all sides.
- Lay the charred sausage on the toasted bun. Spread a thin layer of stone ground mustard over both sides of the toasted bun. Lay down the sausage. Top the sausage with beer braised cabbage and caramelized onion. Enjoy with another cold brew and perhaps some bourbon.